Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Burns Night

So, for those of you who didn't know, last week was the 250th anniversary of Scotland's own beloved and cherished poet/lyricist Robert Burns (or Rabbie Burns, as he is often referred to here) On Burns Night, the official time of celebration, I went with my friends Rachel, Dave, and John to Georges Square in the middle of Glasgow. There were hundreds of people there, in front of a stage. In the background there was an enormous projection of Robert Burns on the city council building.





There was a band of bagpipers that played for awhile and a speech about Burns. It was quite nice, but quite cold, and after about an hour, I left to go to my friend fraser's apartment to have a haggis dinner.

Haggis s good. I don't see what all the negative connotations I've heard people in the U.S. give it are about. It's a well-spiced meat hash with oats mixed in. I like it a lot, and along with cooked carrots and potatoes, it made a delicious, hearty meal which I would gladly have anytime.


Speaking of which....


Last Wednesday, I had it again, when I went to an official GSA Burns Supper Celebration at the Vic (school bar and social area). Everyone dressed up, either in traditional tartan kilts and sashes, or like me, in a suit or dress. There were five long tables set with candles and cutlery, with a stage in the front, and of course, a bar in the back. There were about 120 people who came for the dinner, which included a full haggis meal, some local folk music, speeches from several people about Burns and his poetry, and a dram of whisky to toast him.


(my friend Rory and the haggis meals)

After the meal and speech and drink were finished, it was time for the ceilidh, which is a traditional Sottish dance event. Folk Scottish music with basic beat and flighty fiddle played whilst everyone participated in dance quite similar to American line dancing.



I did particiapte until I was stepped upon by a girl with high heels and started bleeding. Despite that, it was a fun night and was nice to finally get a taste of traditional Scottish culture.

1 comment: