Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Obama's Inauguration



Today, I felt especially proud to be an American. Being in a different country during this momentous of an event gives a totally different perspective. I guess, to a certain extent, I am not as removed from the American political bubble as I would be in other places in the world, since Britains ties with the U.S. and it's dealings are strong. However, it is quite a different feeling to be cheering for Barack Obama in a room of cheering Brits then it is with exuberant Americans I think, and in many ways is a more profound and awe-inspiring experience.

I walked into the Vic (the GSA's pub and night club) with a few classmates after studio today, to find dozens of students packed around the main projected TV. As I sat down, I heard the singing of Aretha Franklin and others and watched as excited Scotts watched the BBC live footage of the inauguration. I watched as Joe Biden was sworn into office and then, was almost startled as I stood up to applaud the appearence of Mr. Obama by the roaring cheer of the people around me. We all watched intently as Obama took the oath and then gave his speech.

I love listening to that man speak.

As I listened and cheered, I was struck with both a personal pride in my country and my president, but also by a realization that this moment was being celebrated all over the world. Many of the people here in Glasgow were as excited and moved as I was, and for that fact alone, I commend Mr. Obama. As the video panned out over the crowd of millions on the mall, I heard remarks of shear awe from friends next to me. I was reminded of Martin Luther King Jr's speech on the mall, not just because the two men are/were strong, well-spoken african-american leaders, but because they both inspired such a large group of people to believe in the strength and the perserverance of the American people.

God bless America
God bless the Earth

I look forward to the future...

3 comments:

  1. rock on. good post

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am a follower of your blog. the zombie horde is growing. feel our power.

    ReplyDelete
  3. apparently i have valuable feedback....

    ReplyDelete