Sunday, January 11, 2009

Pubs and Peeps

I've been in Scotland for a little over a week now, but it seems much longer, in a good way. School started on monday, and we started a project with Hoover Candy (the UK and European Hoover). We will be doing strategic design work to examine potentially new product markets for Hoover in the near future. We've done a lot of research so far, and I gave a presentation on the science of dirt and hygiene. Did you know that for every one human cell on your body, there are 10 bacterial cells?


Along with academia, I've also been meeting people. I've gone out a couple times to nearby pubs to have a pint or two with folks from the Product Design department. They are all very nice and fun to be around. They've shown me the local brews and other specifically Scottish brands of drink and food. It's always fun to try new things. Also, I have to say, being able to buy alchohol is better then I could have imagined. Being able to buy a pint after class is just plain relaxing.

I've finally settled into a room in a flat, which is only about 100 yards away from my studio, and right up the street from the main digs of Glasgow City Centre. It's small, but warm and cozy, and there are about 20 other people living in the house, so I'll have many people to meet.

My bed




Desk





Fridge



Bathroom with shower



It's been raining and gusting wind for the past two days, so I've mostly staid inside, with the exception of going out to buy the things that I need for my room. I've already noticed how much having the things around you that you are used to can help you feel more at home. Consumerism at it's best I guess. I've also gotten to talk to many people from back home, which has made me feel alot better.

View out of my window



Until next time

peace and love
eric

1 comment: